With the Coronavirus (COVID-19) creating havoc all around the globe, the massive outbreak has canceled two WTA tournaments. The Chinese events in Xi’an and Kunming did not take place this year. Now the Indian Wells 2020 in California, USA has laid new protocols as a precautionary measure for the ongoing pandemic in the world.
The Palm Springs event will take place as per the plan and there are no signs of its cancellation. With the Coronavirus cases escalating every hour, BNP Paribas Open wants to ensure the well being of the players, staff and the audience.
Indian Wells 2020 additional measures are as follows:
- More than 250 hand sanitizing stations have been placed throughout the facility
- Players will be required to manage their own towels on the court and ball kids will not touch or move player towels. A chair will be placed at the back of the court for them to place their towel on for usage during the match.
- Ball kids will wear gloves
- Restaurant and food supply workers will wear gloves
- Volunteers taking tickets at entrances will wear gloves
- N95 masks are being secured for first aid and health personnel to be prepared for any circumstances that would necessitate the use thereof
- Organized player and fan interaction will be limited at the tournament
- All common areas throughout the facility will be cleaned daily with an antiviral application
- Coordinating with local hospital and CDC approved testing for all individuals with symptoms
(The above statements were released by the tournament on March 6, 2020)
In the near future, some changes might be incorporated into their safety measures to ensure the protection of everyone at Tennis Paradise. The main draw events of Indian Wells 2020 will start on March 12.
Most importantly, as everyone is advised to avoid crowded places and stay indoors. The tennis fans who have purchased their tickets for BNP Paribas Open may request a refund for this year’s tournament. Or a credit for the 2021 tournament.
Financially, the tournament will be effected by generating enough revenue like every year. And also fans would miss out on catching up with some live tennis action. However, at the moment safety and preventive measures are given paramount importance in all parts of the world.